British Railways was formed in 1948 by the Nationalisation of the four main line companies L.M.S., L.N.E.R., G.W.R. and S.R. and some minor companies. The circular emblem was adopted in 1956, replacing an earlier motif and in this form was used on coaches, a similar design with the title in panels left and right being displayed on locomotives. Replaced in 1965 by a double arrow symbol.