This company was incorporated in 1845 and reached Carlisle in the south and worked the main line north to Glasgow in close co-operation with the English London and North Western Railway. It ran to Edinburgh via Carstairs and from Glasgow west to the coast and north to Perth. From Perth it reached Oban in the north west and Aberdeen in the north east.
Renowned for itís Prussian Blue locomotives, maintained at the Works, St. Rollox, Glasgow, the company became a constituent of the L.M.S. in 1923 and in turn part of the Scottish region of British Railways in 1948. The crest is a representation of the Scottish Coat of Arms.