This Company was formed in 1862 by an amalgamation
of small East Anglian Railways, some of ill repute in respect
of timekeeping and rolling stock.
The main London terminus was Liverpool Street from
which an intensive and efficient suburban service was operated,
with the main workshops at Stratford, East London.
The Company became a constiuent part of the
L.N.E.R. in 1923 and in turn part
of the Eastern Region of British Railways
in 1948. The emblem represents the crest of London centrally, with Essex,
Maldon, Ipswich, Norwich, Cambridge, Hertford, Northampton, which was
not served, and Huntingdon.